This blog was created as part of an assessment with the purpose of learning more about multimodal text. Increased global connectedness and accessibilities to information and communication technologies (ICT) means that students are becoming increasingly familiar and proficient with them, leading teachers to incorporate these into their programs.

Monday, March 26, 2007

Blog Reflection

The first time I heard the word ‘Blog’ was in the first lecture this year – my heart skipped a beat. I had no idea what a blog was and I was then supposed to create one!!! Well, I thought if primary students are capable of doing this, surely I can too. I began by creating my blog and that was the easy bit. I quickly became frustrated with having to continually shift between screens to view any changes – quite different to working with ‘word’. When I finally got the hang of that I felt I was getting somewhere.

I had fun trying to create something that was mine and represented me – however, felt I fell short with trying to create my own template. I did attempt to have a go, however didn’t quite seem to have the time to focus on learning another new thing. This however, was something to consider as primary students probably know how to do this backwards. It seems that children are growing up with technologies that we are just getting the hang of. I have a 2 ½ year old who knows how to navigate through an interactive DVD game. While the tasks are not complex, he has begun to build an understanding of this type of technology and it leaves no doubt in my mind that by the time he begins school, he will be proficient with a computer and probably the internet. The pace at which this form of technology is advancing is fast (unlike dial-up!!). To be able to develop students I must be able to understand the changes myself.

If we are to equipe students with the ability to continue to adapt to new technologies we must have strategies for multiliteracies teachings and use moltimodal resources avaliable to us.

No comments: